× Welcome to the Indian Coins forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site. We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Taka, Dhela, Damri and Kori

• G Siraj
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #735 by G Siraj
Taka, Dhela, Damri and Kori was created by G Siraj
Hi. I am researching old coins and found that there are some terms which, although old people talk about, have absolutely no mention anywhere. For example, elders tell me about Taka, Dhela, Kori, Futi Kori and Damri etc... but no website makes any mention of them. There are even colloquial sayings in Hindi which mention Damri and Futi Kori (chamri jaye, par damri na jaye; futi kori nahi di usne...). I checked RBI website but it has nothing on these terms. I checked Wikipedia also and nothing there either. I checked specialized numismatics websites but no luck on them either... nobody has any photo or even information about these terms. Somewhere I did read though that 1 pie was equal to 12 Koris (cowries) but nobody has any detailed information, or a photo, of a cowry / Kori. If anyone could throw some light regarding these monetary terms, how they relate to other coins, i.e. how many Takas = how many Dhelas = how many Damris = how many Koris etc. I will appreciate. Thank you.
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by G Siraj.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Additional information